Thursday, October 07, 2004

Welsh and more

Has anyone ever heard Welsh, and I don't mean modern day welsh because I am not too good in that, I mean early medieval Welsh. It sounds as if the person speaking has a permanent lisp (s-mæltur, big time) or is drunk. Try saying: Gwryffedd ap Llewlyn or Cynan Bryddyr Mawr very fast it is almost impossible.
But it gave me an idea, and Claire who sat through my explaining of this idea of mine, was rather impressed. You will probably wonder why I got this idea when I was thinking about Welsh but that doesn't matter since I can't remember. I now have a goal, so people can stop asking me why I am learning Gaelic! Well, you fools who wonder, it might be because I am not an ignoramous like you and am interested in learning about other cultures that you have not the brain capacity to imagine had an interesting life. Well, I do think it is interesting and having suffered through a year of such research and discussions and lectures in both Celtic Civilisation and History I have found what I am going to do. Well in theory any way, nothing is happing right at this moment.
I want to found a depertment of Scandinavian studies. Where people can learn about the Vikings, who they were, why they did what they did, and what their culture is like. In Celtic Civilisation I was taught that they were bad men basically, came raping and pilagin the most holy of monasteries in Iona and Lindisfarne and did despicable things in Ireland. In Scottish history I learned that they were cuddly overbearing louts and in Medieval History I learned that there was absolutely nothing out of the ordinary of what they did, this was the time. So what is the truth, well we Icelanders think we know it, but it is the same with us as with Scotland. They know nothing about Scandinavia and we know almost nothing about Scotland, not even what their language is.
So it would be fun to have a department and courses that were intertwined with both the Celtic and History department of the University, and I think it would attract much attention. I mean who would want to learn about Vikings and read the Icelandic Sagas and learn about our heathen Gods. They are so much fun!
So please tell me what you think of this GRET idea of mine. Good isn't it, eh?

No comments: