Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Tired, cold and drying

It has begun! I had my first exam today: Celtic Place-names of Scotland. It was a two hour exam, and we only had to answer two essay questions. That means panic, how are we supposed to write an hour long essay on anything regarding Celtic Place-names. So in the end I wrote for more like one hour and 35 minutes which seemed reasonable and then I just sat there and stared out into space. I answered these questions: 1) What are the problems and pitfalls of distribution maps of generic elements as tools for the scholar of place-names. And 2) What sort of evidence do place-names provide for the structure and function of the church in early medieval Scotland? I somehow managed to bullshit myself through these questions and when we emerged from the exam hall we headed straight for the pub to have a glas, a pint, a bottle ... whatever would do it for us. When we were leaving to go home it started to rain cats and dogs and probably a few hippos as well, it was pouring. I managed to get into Iceland (hehehe) before I drowned where I bought the necessities for survival (Coke Cola) and took a taxi home. When I got home, I was cold and wet and tired. Now I am actually starting to dry up a bit but I am still cold and now I am getting hungry. But I have to push on and learn for my Old Irish exam on Thursday, dreading that one. At 16:31 on Thursday you will probably hear me shouting from the rooftops from either elation or despair, and then you will not hear from me for a few hours as I will either be heading off to the cinema to award myself my hard work, or I will be drowning my sorrows over some more bottles. Wish me luck.

No comments: