Thursday, April 27, 2006

Drowning in consonants

I have Old Irish coming OUT of my ears now, not just into them. I am now swimming in Old Irish poetry, trying to make any of it stick in my head. I am on my sixth now out of eight, doing all right, but still it is doing me head in. I will be soooooo happpppppy tomorrow afternoon, when I will finally crawl from my last exam. I just hope I won't mix the poems together. Although I must say these are all very nice poems, and not too hard to remember (well the last three are the longest and so quite a bit to muddle through there, although he won't be giving us the whole of them, just bits). I sure hope he will be nice to us and not be very nasty in his questions. I think I dread the palaeography exercise (Old Irish manuscript reading) the most, as it is quite difficult to understand the scribes writings. Sometimes it is almost like reading a handwriting of a modern doctor but with crazy abreviations. And sometimes they can't even decide what the abbreviations stand for.
But after the exam, me and Árdís are going out to celebrate and possibly also go see a movie. Then on Saturday, the real, last minute shopping is going to take place along with laundry duty and tidying up the place, before I leave for the summer. Oh, dear, I am going to be swamped on Saturday. But I am soooo looking forward to going home, I don't care if I will be tidying my room until 5am in the morning on Sunday, because I AM GOING HOME.

ps. just to make you suffer like I am

Cride é,
daire cnó,
ócán é,
pócan dó.
------
He is a heart,
oak-grove of nuts,
he is a young man,
a little kiss to him.

No comments: