Sunday, March 12, 2006

Snow snow snow snow snow

Wow, it finally hit. Finally, snow in Glasgow you can actually call snow, but in a funny way. More than 3000 people had to stay at night-clubs and pubs and hotels in the city center last night because it snowed. Today, I saw at least 4 cars sit stuck in the snow for a while, well, I don't know about two of them if they are still there. I walked with my friend Árdís to the Somerfield store, and going through the park was wonderful and fun. Although my friend wasn't as excited. Everywhere you looked, people were there with their kids and their sleighs and snowfights and snowman makers. Some of the snowmen were really creatively made, and I know for sure that I saw at least one snow-sheep.
I didn't go to sleep very early last night and was awake until 3 am and because I kept hearing all these people outside my window I took a wee look-see and boy, this was hilarious. Young adults (mostly) in their pajamas and boots outside having a massive snowfight. Brilliant.
On the news; they showed us images from people trying to get into work in Glasgow by skiing. Imaginative and inventive. See this comes from being in a country that is really, and I mean really, unprepared for snow. Not that they don't know that they could expect to get snow, but boy, this is stupid. They obviously don't have very many machines to clear their streets and they definitely didn't think of sending them out when it started to snow so heavily, even though they knew it would create a caoz. Thankfully it wasn't Monday night or else Glasgow would have been in a really bad way. And of course because, even though they know they can expect snow, the season for snowing is practically over here in Scotland, so snow of this magnitude, even though it wasn't that great will still put everything to a standstill. No snowtires for the cars, not even the firebrigade, which I didn't find funny at all, when we saw them mosey down Byres road on a call, don't they have chains, even though they are travelling snow-light streets it can be very slippery and chains, would be more help than not. Glasgow! Learn to be prepared for anything, please!
But still I had fun, and took lots of pictures, grins.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

bara að koma til dk hér er ekki um snjó að ræða meria svona frost.. já og fullt af því.. kemur ekki hiti fyrr en í lok mánaðarinss.. sussususssm svei

G-Doc said...

hlakka til að fá lafðina´mína heim