Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Burns Night and a wee dram

Gie 's a wee haggis, lad?
In celebration of the birthday of Robert Burns, Scotlands national bard, we went to a Burns night on the 25th. The History Society of the University of Glasgow was hosting the party at the aptly named bar on Woodlands Road, Uisge Beatha (Gaelic = whiskey). There weren't very many that came but it was nice and fun. We got our haggis, neeps and tatties (which is basically: slátur, rófur og kartöflur). Everything was quite nice and it tasted very differently from the Icelandic haggis / slátur, much more spicy. But I do know where you can get a very Icelandic haggis in Glasgow. But of course I couldn't end the night without having a wee dram of whiskey. And the Uisge Beatha's speciality is naturally whiskey. This is a place I definitely need to bring my friend Gumma to sometime when he comes next to Glasgow. On the other hand I shouldn't, as he would probably take up permanent residence there. We like our whiskeys you see. But my favorite is Glengonye 10 years old, that's a drink for me. Very smooth.

No comments: