Thursday, December 28, 2006

'Allo 'Allo

I have been home now for three weeks, and hardly done anything that I meant to do but done a lot of things that I hadn't planned on doing. Before Christmas I was too busy to even think about my essay, although I managed to squeeze in a three hour session where a few hundred words got added to the text. But except for that I was busy with preparation for Christmas as well as two days I spent working at my old job.
My Christmas was wonderful. Full of good food and prezzies and family. Boxing Day (Annan í jólum) I spent with my family at my uncle's house, again enjoying good food and playing Trivial Pursuit with my brother and two cousins. My brother won us this time. We also played a little Monopoly although at that time we were exhausted and stopped before it really started.
Since then I have been spending my days struggling over the essay. Two days, 500 words a day, and now the essay has reached 6700 words. I am quite pleased with myself, especially since I have been watching 'Allo 'Allo series 1 - 4 during the time I have been writing the essay. It always manages to lift my spirit. It is simply spectacular. But today I finished the series and am now finishing the last episode of Le comte de Monte Cristo. And I am beginning to find it strange the way every time I watch a film in a foreign language I start thinking in said language, like now, the thing that I most want to do is speak French.
I got a book from Amazon yesterday. It's the first Harry Potter book but it is in Irish. It is Harry Potter agus an Órchlach (or the Philosopher's stone). I can read it, I understand the words but not the sentences, because I have never learned modern Irish, so I am not always sure of the meaning, but I get the gist of it. Soon I will be getting the Welsh version of it as well. The Gaelic version will be added as soon as possible but the scheduled date for publication is not until summer of 2008.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gleðileg jól unga frú...kv mummi danski