Saturday, May 07, 2005

In the deep end ... and drowning

I am preparing for my oral exam in Gaelic on Tuesday, but damn, what have I gotten myself into. I said I was going to talk about the Icelandic Parlament, and right now I am like, ... aaaa, what is there to say about it.
Tha Parlamaid na Innis Tíle? Doh! Chan eil mi fios agam. I only have a few lines, about 2 and a half minute long, so I have to find something more to say about it. But what? Chan eil Parlmaid na Innis Tíle mar am Pharlamaid na Sasainn no Alba. Gaaa, that doesn't help with points and on top of that the Parlament back home is different from the Parlament here so many of the words and what-nots they have here we don't. This is proving to be challenging. Maybe something like this: Bha Parlamaid na h-Innis Tíle stéidhichte ann an 930. Bha Parlamaid suidhichte air Thingvellir. O chionn, bha am Parlamaid choinnich gach bliadhna gus an ochdamh linn deug. An sin, choinnich am Parlamaid airson uile ráithe do naoi míos dhen bliadhna. ‘S e an seann Pharlamaid ann an saoghal, no co-dhiú, ann an Eorpa. Ann an 1380 Innis Tíle rach a-steach am Crún an Damnhairg. Ann an 1874 fhuair Innis Tíle ar bonn-stéidh agus sinn fhéin-riaghladh againn. Thug le Innis Tíle neo-eismeileachd ann an 1944 bhon Danmhairg. Although this is only a small part, but I could start with this. The years in themselves will probably add a whole minute to the speech anyway. 1874 – ochd ceud deugh trí fichead ‘s a ceither dheug. Try say that very fast over and over again. [Ohk keiud djíug trí fíched sa keiher jíug] bókstaflega.

No comments: