Monday, February 02, 2009

completely 'done in'

When I woke up this morning I looked out my window to see how the weather was and everything was WHITE. Not terribly so, just a slightly covered ground. But from my experience at graduation I was taking no chance so shortly before nine I left the house and walked to Uni. We had a very nice class in Medieval Literacy where we got to try our hand at vellum calligraphy, not on actual vellum but the idea behind it, how it would have worked and such. I think I could be a nice little scribe. After class Catriona and I went for lunch. I had a nice wee chicken salad and chocolate cake for desert. Then we had to skedaddle because Catriona has an over-excitable puppy at home she needs to take care off. So off we went and when we came outside it had started snowing again. Big flakes!!! We walked down to Byres road where our journeys split, she took the subway home while I walked. Because of the big flakes, I very soon took on the appearance of the white snow(wo)man because the snow stuck very well to my coat and hat. It was a relief to come home and get warm and ... dry again. I didn't think I would be going out there again, at least not today.
About an hour later when I had dried up well enough and was all geared up to start some serious studying I went to look for my phone. ... Nowhere to be found!!!! Panic slowly setting in. I saw that Catriona was online and asked her to phone me and see if I could hear it somewhere around me. No such luck! No in full panic mode I run out the door, and hurry back all the way to Byres road keeping my eyes glued to the ground searching on the way. Nothing. When I reach Byres road I keep on searching and when I reach the spot where I think I lost it I still can't see anything. I then go into the nearest stores in hopes that someone might have dropped it off there. Nope. So I climb Great George street to the top in record time and back into the Hub where we had lunch. Hoping fervently that someone handed it in at the shop. I first took a quick look at the spot where we had been sitting and nothing there, go into the shop and ask around. I asked the guy there whether someone handed in a phone that got lost and he was like 'yes, several. Do you mean today?' Yup, 'and was it in a foreign language?', YES!!! He went and got it and there it was. I never thought I would be so happy to see it again, but I was. Even though it is a big hulk of a thing it is my wee friend that gets me up in the morning and to the right places, so I was extatic. At this point my back and legs had seized up and I could barely walk any longer. I hadn't taken my medication yet, and having walked to and from Uni already had put a strain on me. I made it down to Byres road again, and jumped quickly into Marks and Spencer for some microwaveable food for tonight, no way I was cooking after this. I didn't find a taxi until I came to the top of Byres road but as soon as I did I jumped in and asked him to take me home the last few metres. Stumbled home and into my room and collapsed on my chair. As soon as possible I popped some pills and a short time later I started to get better. I even managed to study before my back gave out again.
I liked the microwave food though, it was stroganoff with rice. I am used to getting a few tiny pieces of meat in sauce so when I was fishing the last bit from the sauce I was expecting a wee thing. No, I caught a steak!!! It was huge, it was half of the tray, it was great and quite yummie as well. Well, I think this is my excitement of the day! I wonder what will happen tomorrow, it's still snowing.

No comments: