Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Tuseday busy, Wednesday not so much

I was at uni just after nine o'clock in the morning. Going to meet Catriona before heading off to Old Irish class. We managed the impossible today and actually finished translating Compert Con Cúlainn and are next going to tack Esnada Tige Buchet, which I am actually looking forward to, Greens glossary is so much better than Van Hamels, his is crap. After class, Catriona ran home to take care of puppy, but she was going to come back just before one o'clock. We had reading group today! I, on the other hand went over to the Post-grad club where I had my usual (I am having a fave right now), a baked potatoe with chili. So when Catriona came we headed over to 10 Uni gardens up to the third floor were we were meeting the reading group. We are still a bit unsure about this venture of ours. The people are all from the medieval history department, but usually European side of things and much later than either Catriona or certainly me. Andrew, is the only one from the Scottish side so he is sort of a link between these two worlds. But it is obvious that us Celtisists have little to do there just yet. These people only like to talk about Eleanor of Aquitane and her ilk. Catriona and I are thinking of making up our own Celtic reading group next year, just to counter balance this, also because Celtisists are a much nicer bunch of people, all very happy and confused, not so imbued with german efficiency and criticism. I hope we get some of our old peeps back, I miss our little gang.
Well after the reading group, Catriona and I had a workshop to attend to, at the Libary. We were actually looking forward to this one, unlike all the others we need to this was voluntary. It was a manuscript workshop and the person hosting it had asked us to e-mail her our areas of interest so that she could have some maunscripts relevant to our studies at hand for us to look at. I wrote to her and got a very nicely worded reply that they would probably not be able to have manuscripts for me to look at, because they didn't have anything that old in their storage. Yeah, most of the good ones I would like to see are in Oxford or Cambridge or Tritinty College Dublin. We had already gone to a mss workshop last year, that was fabulous and we were really exciting of what was in store for us today. Oh, boy, we nearly fell asleep. She made us watch videos!!!! MADE IN THE 1980'S!!!!
- 'How to operate a book!' You flip the cover and pages are revealed!!!
- NO, shocking, I never knew that. About time I learned, I will turn 30 this year!!!
Bwahahaha or buhuuuu, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. The only interesting thing was when she actually did show us some mss, but she didn't reveal anything we didn't already know. The only interesting part was getting my hands on a charter from 1642 written on vellum skin!!! When there was about half an hour left we left, before coma set in, and we skedaddled down to 9 Uni gardens for the seminar in the Scottish Medieval History section, this time it was '15th century Scotland: a view from Burgundy', it was really interesting but I still wish there hadn't been such a lengthy question and answer session after because Catriona and I were totally exhausted after the entire day and having to sit for so long. We really just wanted to run out, also she needed to get home to take care of Jassy. But all in all a very nice day.
Wednesday was a much calmer day. I woke up at nine, did some work, then went into Uni to meet Catriona for lunch. She had a meeting with Thomas at 1 and needed some moral support. Thankfully her meeting was fine and after we had sat and talked a bit at the QM we headed home to do some more studying. Which I did, I just had to take frequent breaks because my leg has been bothering me awfully much since Monday, well, my leg, my hips and my back have all been bugging me. Catriona summed it up perfectly, I am falling apart!

No comments: