Friday, November 18, 2005

Winter in Scotland

When I woke up yesterday there was frost everywhere, not snow or anything but just very cold. Well, it was more like freezing and it didn't change at all, and it was freezing cold all day yesterday. Not nice when you come out from the cinema at 3am in the morning, on top of that having to wait for a taxi in the bleeding frost. We didn't make it home until nearly 4am and poor Árdís had to got to Uni at 12pm today. But what I noticed yesterday at the Halls, was that they had started spreading salt all over the place. And it was not slippery ice or anything about, just frost, that went away as soon as the sun hit the spot, but they are soooo scared to death of being sued by someone if they possibly might do themselves a bit of harm they put salt all over the place. Amazing, and this means that today when I go out, at all the places the sun shone yesterday are going to have cooked salt which is really not nice to walk in, yeuk. Get a grip Scotland, frost is not going to kill anyone, wait until it gets really slippery and then do something, this is just a waste.
We went to the Debenhams sale yesterday as well, and I did some killer bargain bying, which I am very proud of, there was like 10%, 20% or 25% of evertyhing in the store, it just depended on what you were buying how lucky you were, and I got very lucky.
And considering I just woke up, I might just head into the city center today as well, since I really do not think I will do anything productive today. Will go up to Uni Library tomorrow to get books for my next essay.
I got a packet delivered today from Ireland, from Cathach books. Had a really hard time to find them on the internet, ended up sending a letter to Ireland, with the address my mom got me from a guy back home in Iceland. The guy from the bookshop contacted me through e-mail shortly after and I now am the proud owner of the book "Camchuairt ar Éirinn" or "Impressions of Ireland" or "Ferðaþættir frá Írlandi", a book containing all three languages, by Einar Ólafur Sveinsson from 1947. I really like it and it seems very interesting.

No comments: