Friday, January 26, 2007

In shock

I am in shock right now. At least I think I am. I am apparently too numb to actually be aware of the shock. I think I just finished my dissertation. I don't know what to do now.
I have been working on it and thinking about it constantly for more than a year now, so I feel almost like an orphin now. I don't know where I belong. I just finished putting on the finishing touches to it. I probably have something more to do, but at the moment I don't know what. I have been working on it from 8 o'clock tonight and I didn't even realize what time it was until I closed the draft12.doc, 10 minutes to 12 o'clock. I was so absorbed in my work I hardly even took notice of Mock the Week, even though I specifically put my alarm clock on so that I wouldn't miss it. Now that is bad.
My dissertation ended up being 9670 words + bibliography of about 300 words. That is not bad.
I came home today in another shock. Clarie and I were almost reduced to tears in Medieval Welsh Poetry class today, when we realised what amount of homework we face for next week. But I feel a bit better now that I have finished the dissertation. That clears a lot of space from my calander. But for Tuesday I have to translate a page (about 40 lines) of middle Welsh text, for Wednesday I have to translate a page (ca. 40 lines as well) of Old Irish text and Thursday is the killer. I have to translate a poem Y Dref Wen (The white town), thankfully a short poem, but the teacher is actually wanting us to do some work on it of our own, and refused to give us a wordlist. How can I put this delicately. SHIT!

A note on the poem! The first line looks like this;
Y dref wenn ym bronn y coet
Now we know that y dref whenn means the white town, but also, from today I know that bronn means chest or breast. I am almost certain that the line is not 'The white town in the breast of the forest'. So I am hoping that bronn can be a middle of something as well, as in 'The white town in the middle of the forest'. We will see.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Til hamingju með ritgerðarskilin! Húrra! Frábært að hún sé búin, þó það geti verið erfitt að láta hana frá sér ;) Gangi þér svo vel með kúrsana sem eftir eru skvís. Heyrumst, hej hej.