Sunday, January 07, 2007

In memoriam

Magnus Magnusson, a great British / Icelandic broadcaster died today. He was born in Iceland and never gave up his citizenship although he had been living in Scotland from when he was very young. He was educated in Oxford and Copenhagen in Icelandic sagas and truly a great scholar with a vast knowledge about the viking era and the sagas. In Britain he is mostly known for being the presenter on the popular Mastermind quiz show.
Magnus Magnusson was a great inspiriation for me in regards to what I wanted to study. His works helped and guided me in what I hope is going the be the right direction. I am now in my final year of Masters degree from the University of Glasgow in Celtic Medieval studies, including civilisation and languages. For my dissertation I looked at the work of Magnus Magnusson along with his late friend Hermann Pálsson who truly were the great scholars of their time regarding the Icelandic sagas and the age of writing in Iceland. My essay; Celtic influence on Icelandic medieval literature; with special attetion to Laxdæla saga I rely a lot of Magnus Magnussons thoughts and research on Irish influence on Icelandic culture and his work is truly worth noting.
There truly is a want of scholars of his caliber, especially in the field of the Icelandic sagas and the Irish literature. He leaves a great void behind, a void that will take a very long time to fill.
God bless you and your family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Flott hjá þér, keep the good work up, mamma