Thursday, January 11, 2007

I should start charging taxi drivers

Today I became convinced I should start charging taxi drivers for my service. Usually, when a person takes a taxi, they expect to be transported to whatever destination they desire and I am fine with that. But, here a wee situation presents itself. Quite often when using the service taxis provide the drivers strike up a chat with the passenger, namely me. Now, I have not been back in Glasgow a week, but already I have held 3 presentatoins and open discussion on Celtic history and civilization. In a way it is good, because it keeps the material fresh for me, but it does become a wee bit annoying when you are battling "weekend historians" or taxidrivers who "I was always very intrested in history" start filling you in of all the historical or scientific knowledge they "don't" have just because they read a book. Well hooray, they read a book, and all of a sudden they are experts. They talk about stuff that makes no sense and I don't even know how such rubbish ever got into print what some of them are spouting at me ... and I have to pay them for taking me places. A lecturer at the University of Glasgow gets about 40.000 pounds a year, I wonder if I couldn't charge them about 10 pounds for my servic of correcting them.

No comments: