Saturday, January 06, 2007

All kinds of news

During my stay here in Iceland I have enjoyed all types of weather, and today is no exception. The Christmas snow is finally here and already everything has gone white that can. And these are big flakes and it must be said, it is a beautiful sight although not so much a welcome one.
Yesterday sure turned out to be a surprise. I stayed home studying and am now on the final meters of my essay. But there are some things that have to wait until I go back to Glasgow (incidentally which is tomorrow) because some of the sources I need for the essay are there. And then I decided to send a copy to my teacher as well as take a copy of the files. Thank God I did. My brother came over with his family around dinner time and they stayed for dinner and then he was trying to install a new virus protection program on my computer and after 3 hours of one thing after another failing, the computer went dead in the water! (A few years ago my computer got a bad case of the virus and some eenybeeny little bits that got left behind were wreaking havoc with the computer now). But I just spoke to my brother and he managed to move all my files from the old harddrive over onto a new one (and a bigger one) so I am just totally happy, right now. I only had about 2gb left on my old harddrive. I have a considerably more to spend now. But this just shows how important it is to take backups of all your files, I have a backup of my files on two other locations as well as a backup of my essay on four locations. So no matter what goes wrong I wont suffer too heavily. But it doesn't lessen the severity of not having the computer near you for a few hours, it is agonising, I feel almost like I lost a limb. But it is being returned to me today, which leaves me totally happy.

BACKUP!!!!! YOUR FILES

No comments: