Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Lost in Translation

I was thinking back to a few weeks ago when I was with my friends Claire and Jo waiting for one of our more challenging exams to start and what we were discussing. It had something to do with tin cans, and not the usual baked beans variety but the more larger ones. Now if I mention the name Mackintosh Confectionary every one in Iceland will know what I mean, and of course in my ignorant-foreign-people-way thought that this was the universal language for the well known candy. But no, they had absolutely no idea what I was talking about, Mackintosh? Does the name Quality Street give you a clue. Probably if you are Scottish (or British) maybe if you are Icelandic but not as much as Mackintosh. It is just so funny to find out what you have been born and raised to call or identify something foreign differently than the foreign place it originates from.
Another example: a pineapple (who's bright idea was it to call it that when in almost every other language (of the Indo-European strand) it is called Ananas or at least something that resembles it. But like my friend Gummi says, it would be just weird to call it Anas, grins. So for the same reason, let us respect the differences and quirks that develop in languages with identifying things in different ways in different langauges. We are all in this soup together.

No comments: