Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Guess what ... I'm normal!!!

I mean it, really, I am. I figured it out while I was sitting in class today sounding out old Irish words. I am so sick and tired of people doing that "what, what are you studying?" thing-look, when I say that I am studying Celtic and Gaelic, but now I think I have finally crossed the threshold where it won't bother me 'that' much any longer. Sitting among people who have learned Greek and Latin (hello people, who have been pointing it out to me that it is a dead language and shouldn't be studied because of that, even though I want to) and also studied Breton (those who do not know, it is a Celtic language spoken in Bretagny in France), there is also a Welsh native speaker in our class, a girl from Hungary and one from Germany. I am finally vindicated, I do not have to feel ashamed explaining to people any more why I want to learn Scottish Gaelic or Old Irish (400 years old Gaelic) or even dabbling with Medieval Welsh when the time comes. This is what I am interested in, and this is what I want to do. I will probably never do anything in this field that is going to be of any consequence but I do not care. This is my passion, and something that I have wanted badly for more than ten years. I have finally allowed it to happen, I am in my third year and I am still surviving even though people left and right have been telling me that it might not be for me or that it is incredibly difficult. Get off my back, I earned my way here, I didn't cheat or lie or steal, this is my hard work behind these last two years and I am going nowhere.
If other people can take pride in learning languages, so can I!
Languages are important even dead or almost dead ones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

go girl go...