Sunday, February 04, 2007

An interesting discovery

It is Sunday night and I am bored. So I made an interesting discovery. Since my computer crashed just before I came back to Glasgow in January I have had a very difficult time playing any sort of internet games, so I have stopped trying. Which clears up a lot of my time. I have since been concentrating on my studies and I found this out. Old Irish gives me a headache! It really literally and physically gives me a headache. Middle Welsh does not and now I know why. When I am translating Middle Welsh I know where to find the words in the glossary. When I see a word that starts with a o, I know that it doesn't necessarily begin with an o, but it only has three possibilities. It can either be an o, or c or g and nothing else. A word that begins with a u most likely doesn't start with a u, it could start with either a b or a m. Same as with the afore mentioned word. Not much trouble. And that is the extent of the headachy thing about Welsh everything else is quite straight forward. Old Irish not so clearcut. You find the word nírbo and you would think to look under n, but no that doesn't work. You either have to look it up under a:tá or is. The word do*raga is under do*tét and dos*fucaid you can find that under do*beir. There is no set rule on where to find a word in Old Irish, because it can go through so many changes depending on compound particles (words, or letters from more than one word, added to a word) to make up a new one. If almost every other word you are looking up in a dictionary gives you this kind of trouble wouldn't most people be suffering from a migrane.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ég fékk nú bara hausverk við að reyna að skilja þetta.. hilsen m