Wednesday, October 08, 2008

I am unique!!!!

Thihihi, my University just gave me an e-mail alias because of my post-grad phd status. Instead of being @student.gla.ac.uk I am @research.gla.ac.uk, but the joke is that my account name is e.eyjolfsdottir.1@..., and they say expressely that the number in my name is to differentiate me and make my name more unique in the e-mail world of Glasgow University. I must say I find that hillarious, I don't think they have come accross my name before since I am numero uno.

In other news today, I managed to become a saint in the eyes of a friend of mine, and no not the one who is actually actively writing my saint's life as we speak, but another one. My dear dear friend who flew all the way to Glasgow to help me move. When she was here she fell in love with a lovely green dress, but was trying to be practical and bought a serviceable black dress instead and left the green one behind. Well, she regretted her decision, but cursed and fated she decided to buy it online instead, and luckily the dress had just gone on sale!!! For some reason the transaction never cleared so as soon as I came back to Glasgow I was sent on a mission to purchase the dress in store. Although I didn't really know of this course of action (and neither did she) until Monday. I had made plans with Catriona for Tuesday so I couldn't go yesterday, but managed to go into city centre today and guess what? I am brilliant. I managed to get my hands on the last dress in the right size in the store!!! Whoohooo and at a bargain price as well. My friend is very happy now, although I have her dress heheheh, but I think she know it is safe in my hands.

I am currently getting more comfortable here in my wee room. I have done a few minor changes from when I first shoved my things in here. I fully expect there to be some more changes going on in the near future. My little home is still forming, but it is getting warmer by the day. The boiler has been broken, and is currently on constantly now to get us some heat because he will go on and off randomly, but this means we have some heat which we didn't have when I first got back. Which meant a very cold first night, I am talking pajama bottoms and socks and a blanket!!! This room is a bit bigger than the ones I have been staying in and therefore my little radiator isn't powerful enough to manage to heat it completely if it is very cold outside. That is also the reason I went to IKEA yesterday with Catriona, but that was to buy a thicker duvet for my bed, and I imagine I will sleep well tonight in my warm bed in my very warm room right now. The reason for the room being so much colder, is because there is an extension on it that only applies to my room, and so there is no extension on the room below me in the block, so there is basically nothing below the floor, hence cold floor and cold in general. Then of course the multitudes of windows do not help either, but I still love me room and while I am armed with blankets and socks I am not complaining!

No comments: