Saturday, July 08, 2006

Day Two: Edinburgh Adventure

We took a taxi to Queen Street Station just before 11am today and bought tickets to Edinburgh. Usually the train ride takes about 50 mins, so we were quite optimistic of having a good time of shopping, but no. Due to engineering work at the last stop before Edinburgh Waverly Station we had to take the scenic route into Edinburgh and entered it "from behind". This took us 2 hours so we were quite late at arriving in Edinburgh so we just threw ourselves into shopping like crazy people, although I didn't manage to spend very much. I did managed to buy myself a feather-hatlike-comb-y-thingy that I can possibly wear at the wedding on Tuesday, but I think I will need some imagination to pin it to my head and expecting it to stick. So...we'll see. We stopped at Hard Rock Café for lunch and then continued shopping. I was getting quite tired after being awake for 20 hours the day before and waking up early today. Also shopping, takes a bit of steam out of you, so when we stopped at La Senza I left my friend browsing and took a pose by one of the shelf-rack thingies they have and took a nap. SURVIVAL TIP: When waiting for someone in an underwear department a push-up bra is a very good pillow to use for a nap. Comfy, but soft and cushiony. I was almost tempted to buy it as a travel cushion.
We tracked on and on and on, we probably walked most of Princes Street in Edinburgh and let me tell you, it is not the shortest street in the world. When we reached the end we decided to go to the next street and walk by the pubs and on towards a Moroccan restaurant that had Belly Dancers perform on Saturdays. The pubs we walked by were just brilliantly well named, quite appropriate for Scottish bar-humour. The first one was named Bad Ass, which was next to Dirty Dick's and further up the road was Filthy Mc Nasty's, and if you don't believe me, I took pictures to prove it.
We finally found the Morrocan restaurant and we were the first in off the evening. We ordered delicious food, I took a dish of chicken with dried apricots and almonds with coriander and cinnamon, while Hrafnhildur had Chicken something with a kind of salsa sause and salad and rice. Very nice, when we had almost finished our meal more people had started to arrive, and it was then that the belly dancer started to dance, so we decided to have desserts as well just to have more time to watch. Hrafnhildur also ordered some Moroccan Mint Tea ... it tasted and smelled just like Wrigleys gum, I found it hilarious, but just too confusing to drink.
We ended the night by taking the train home to Glasgow just before ten o'clock and are now getting ready to go to bed. We will continue tomorrow shopping and I hope I will be able to buy something more tomorrow. I would feel a bit stupid for taking a huge luggage bag with me and actually not buy anything to fill it with. That is something I am not known for.

No comments: