Friday, September 25, 2009

I am GUID to go

It is now nearly a month since I am back in Glasgow and quite a few things I have needed to sort through. Some things that I didn't even start to sort through until last week. For example my GU-ID card, or the identity card that allows me access to the Glasgow University Library. For some reason my card was only validated for 1 year when I got it last year, but just earlier in the week I noticed that the card belonging to my friend was validated until 2011!!! I thought that this might be because I hadn't enrolled on the same day as she, I didn't enroll until early October. So yesterday I headed off to Registry to get a new card. After waiting in line for about fifteen mins or so it was my turn. I told her that I needed to apply for a new card since mine was running out, and that I thought this was a mistake. 'No' she replied, saying that these cards should only be issued for a year at a time. So in fact my friend had just been ridiculously lucky. But no matter, it only took her a matter of minutes to print out a new card for me and hand it to me. It was only when I was walking away from her that I noticed the date on the card and could barely contain my grin. It is valid till 2012!!!
In a way I hope it is not prophetic and that I will still be here as a postgrad student in 2012, but on the other hand, I will have access to the library for a good number of years now ;)

No comments: