Saturday, June 06, 2009

30 years of Me

I just had my birthday a couple of weeks ago, and again and again. I think I set a record this year of having no less than four birthday parties. All of them filled with wonderful friends and family and of course amazing food too.
I have uploaded photos from each one of my parties and I post them here to the right on the webpage.

Birthday party nr. 1
May 16th, just before I leave Glasgow to go home for the summer. It was Eurovision night and with the help of my friend Catriona was able to have a great night with the girls. Claire came all the way from Dumfries, and Jo came from Gourock and both stayed over at Catrionas so that they wouldn't have to travel at silly times back home. Sadly Anne couldn't make it, because she was ill. I held the party at Catriona's and we had cakes and food galore to nibble on throughout the night while watching Eurovision and gossiping like we do best. We enjoyed watching Eurovision and it didn't spoil the night that Iceland finished in 2nd place (although I still don't like the song) and UK didn't do that bad either. So in true Eurovision tradition every time our countries received points we cheered both out loud and by taking a sip of wine. When Eurovision finished the gossiping started and lasted well until four o'clock in the morning when I made my way home in a taxi, so happy after a great evening. I got great presents; from Catriona I got my birthday party and a beautiful scarf/shawl. From Claire I got a book (I always like getting those) and a wee hippo-bear named Thomas ;) Jo gave me a wonderful picture to hang on a wall, with the words 'Cairdean' for 'Friendship' in Irish. It is beautiful. Last but not least I got a wonderful jewellry box from Anne as well as a surprise gift that involves humor only Anne and I understand.

Birthday party nr. 2
May 24th, my birthday! I arrived home on May 20th and had little time planning anything, I decided to divide my birthday between family one day and friends another day. Sunday 24th, was going to be cookies and cakes for my family and close family friends. Friday evening I baked some ham and cheese croissants, and during Saturday my mom magically created loads of cakes and great stuff for us to munch on come Sunday. The table was groaning from yummy cakes and everyone seemed to really enjoy it. Of course my parents were there, I got a wonderful pair of necklace and ring from them (as well as my new mobile phone, which I had recieved a bit earlier). My brother, sister-in-law, niece and nephew were there of course as well. They were wonderful and generous and gave me a gift certificate for Icelandair that I can use to travel to and fro Glasgow (or London at least). My grandmother gave me few quids to spend as well as my uncle and his wife. Another uncle and family gave me a wonderful handmade silver ring. Later in the day I heard from a friend of mine and suggested that if they wanted to come they were more than welcome since there was still more than enough cakes to go around, and we needed help getting rid of them. My friends Hrafnhildur and Þurý, used the opportunity to bring their present for me with them. From them as well as Hrafnhildur's boyfriend, and Guðný Stella (another friend) I got a most beautiful silver hair pin. It was amazingly beautiful and 'so me'! My day was perfect and it was wonderful to be able to be home for this occasion.

Birthday party nr. 3
When I turned 25 I was in Scotland and didn't celebrate it in style. When I graduated both in 2007 and 2008 I never celebrated except with my family who was there at the time. So I decided that this year, since I was home for my birthday to do it in style and do it proper. My friends were great enough to 'donate' their appartment for the occasion, which was great. This meant I wouldn't be keeping my mom up for all hours of the night while we partied (sometimes there is a downside to still living with mom and dad :)). I decided to have the party the week after my actual birthday, since I hadn't had enough time to organise and let people know.
Because of unseen circumstances my friends weren't at home during the day, but Þurý was the Keeper of Keys and Grounds at Hrafnhildur and Gummi's place, so we were free to wreck the place for the party that night. We were running around Reykjavik, picking up goodies for the BBQ and ended up raiding a store for their entire contents of ice cubes ;). But everything was ready when the party goers came and everything went perfectly.
My friend Gummi played the cook to perfection and everyone was well sated after a huge hamburger and hot dogs. Enough alchohol was on offer as well, proof by the large tub in the back yard filled with ice-cold beer, and a fridge filled with Breezer and Smirnoffs. We also made a huge bowl of coctail usually called a 'bolla' in these circumstances. To keep the party going we had Sing Star going full blast for quite a while and everyone having so much fun watching, listening and some even participating, lol. Although we had loads of songs and songstyles to choose I was facing a conundrum. I am terrible when it comes to modern music and therefore only knew a handful of songs and even them not very well. What was desperately needed was Sing Star Bollywood ... I will have to acquire one before the next party. We ended up dancing and partying until 3am in the morning. It was a fabulous party and I felt so lucky having such wonderful friends.
After I had made my way home I was still too happy and excited and wasn't able to fall asleep again, so I read a few pages in a book. It was so bright outside and in my room (since I never draw the blinds during the summer) I was able to read my book without putting the lights on!!!

Birthday party no. 4
Not everyone made it to the party, so they had a special party for me. My two friends (and twin sisters) Margrét and Guðbjört came to pick me up on Friday 5th of June and brought me to Margrét's place where they were planning to cook me dinner. We all helped with getting the food going, Guðbjört and I took care of the salad. Guðbjört also took charge of the rice while Margrét prepared the chicken and bread. Half the time Margrét scared us nearly to death by being half inside poking hot things. She has teflon-fingers I am sure. The food was absolutely delicious and I am sure I am going to try it again someday, it was amazing. Chickenbreast covered with pesto, cream-cheese and sundried tomatoes and then folded together and fastened with a toothpick, boiled rice, salad and garlic bread. I couldn have continued on forever muching on the goodies, it was so amazing.
But that wasn't the entire surprise they had in store for me. They had bought a bottle of bubbly to celebrate my high age and wisdom :) as well. It was amazing and Guðbjört got to pop the cork and it took us a good minute to find the cork again it exploded with such a bang. For dessert we had icecream, hot chocolate sauce and sweets to go with, mmmmm.
We even got a surprise visit. Krissi, Margréts boyfriend, had been planning to go meet aquaintances but in the end they came over to theirs and joined the party. They brought with them some red wine and we kept on toasting and chatting through the evening, they left just around midnight and I left a short time later, with my private chauffeur and bodyguard, Margrét and Krissi, giving me a ride home :)
Fabulous evening and I thank them very much for a great evening.

No comments: