Sunday, January 06, 2008

Classy lady

I'm back in Glasgow now. Flew back today. It's nice not having to wake up so extremely early as I used to have to when coming back to Glasgow. It was positively making me ill. As a good bye present we were going to stop at a hamburgerjoint close to the airport and sort of before you turn into Keflavík, but no luck. Something or someone had happened, so that the place was closed down and the police were there taking statements and so on. So no hamburger there for me. So mom, the extreme optimist she is, drove into Keflavík, and we tried to find a place that sold hamburgers but couldn't find any place that was open, unless there was absolutely no way of parking near it or putting your health at risk. So I was just going to compromise and have chips at the airport. When we arrived at the airport we ran into my uncle and his wife who had been seeing off their son and his family. The airport was very busy but I was cunning and went and upgraded my ticket to a Saga Buisness Class so I didn't have to wait for a very long time in a cue to check in like everyone else. So I said goodbye to mom and dad and went in search of my chips and cocktail sause. They were out, I couldn't believe me. Right now the crappiest place in Iceland is by my vote Keflavík and the Keflavík airport for not being able to have a hamburger or even chips available for travellers leaving Iceland for a period of time. Very bad indeed Keflavík! I took a peek at the Saga buisness lounge but it was sooo overcrowded that I couldn't even find a seat so I didn't spend a lot of time there. Actually because there was enough time to pass I went back to the duty free section of the terminal where I met my cousin, whose mom and dad I had just met outside. I was seeing his wife and 5 year old son for the first time. They were such a delight and very nice to talk to. They were heading back to Liberia where my cousin is in the United Nations peace-corp. We had such good time talking that I almost ended up going with them to London, but in the end we said goodbye and they went to gate 26 while I went to gate 28.
I got this terribly comfy seat in Saga Class, leather chair that's at least half a size bigger than the economy seats, with enough leg room to have a male lap dancer entertaining me, but unfortunately they were unavailable. Why do I mention a lap dancer in this report (because that is so totally out of character for me), is that in the seats two rows behind me, was none other than the infamous Geiri in Goldfinger (which is a lap dancer joint in Iceland and he is the owner). Boy, he looks like a Russian mob boss, bit on the huge side. I was not impressed, I must say. But I didn't actually know it until we landed because he came in(to the airplane) after me. When they served dinner I got to choose from a fish course or beef-fillet which I accepted. It was delicious! There was smoked salmon for appetiser, the beef-fillet with vegetables for main course, a skyr-cake for desert, and chocolate for good measure. I also had red wine with dinner and enjoyed it very much. I like flying Buisness Class, because I am clearly a classy lady.
I came home shortly before nine o'clock and among the first things I did, aside from putting my computer up was contact my friends and plan a coffee-get-together tomorrow. All of us are suffering freaky withdrawl syndrome from our coffee and cakes. I will be taking it easy for the rest of the evening but tomorrow the real horror starts where I have to start preparing for the presentations and exam. Wish me luck.

No comments: