Saturday, August 12, 2006

The hi and goodbye weekend

Last night was fabulous although a bit strange. I went out to dinner with my friend Árdísi, whom I have barely seen this summer. Quite a change, from seeing her almost every single day of the week while we are in Glasgow. We went to Friday's, had nice dinner, although the service and the food are both drastically different from Glasgow. Then we went to the cinema which is in the same complex as the restaurant. I allowed my friend to select the movie and she chose Miami Vice. The movie theatre almost killed the movie off before it began, they played such a lullaby music before it began that it was amazing I wasn't snoring before the film began. The movie itself was ok, although I felt it was more like a lengthy televisionmovie rather than an action film. But all in all it was a wonderful evening.

Tonight was a bit different. I got a call from my friend Margréti, who is leaving tomorrow for Sweden, and she came over for a wee last visit. Oh, I miss her already. Her sister left last Sunday, so it has been quite strange, these last few weeks. On top of that, they are selling their childhood home, and won't be coming home to it at Christmas, for the first time. They are kind of homeless now. And I find this so strange to think about as well, since I trace my childhood roots to this home as well, so it is kind of saying goodbye to a whole era. And it is kind of hard, because when I moved, I didn't loose contact with my old home, because my grandmother moved into our old place and my friends were just across the road. Now the memories are no longer fixed within the confines of walls and windows and rooms, but only locked in our memories. Margrét and I spent quite a few moments remembering so much about our childhood and our antics, and how things can bring forth memories again. It is strange how things can make the memories more vivid and more tangible when holding them and how easy it is to loose them.
I just look forward to seeing my friends again at Christmas, they help to remind me that Christmas is about being with friends and family and not to worry about the future because I am blessed that I have them.

No comments: